At Mahalo we call trips to Hawaii our ‘brand building expeditions.’ Maintaining the aloha spirit year round clearly requires some face to face with the Aloha State.
Four Mahaloans are venturing to the Hawaiian isles this summer, one was there for Christmas and another honeymooned there last year. Between all of us we’re pretty much certified Hawaii travel guides.
Disclaimer: We’re very familiar with the “Big 4,” but we’re less in the know when it comes to the smaller isles. We’re curious, does anyone out there have Lanai reccs? (It’s next on our list of islands to visit!) Molokai perhaps? How about Niihau- anyone with an in? We’re dying to know about this privately owned and forbidden island!
If you’re visiting Maui, Oahu, Hawaii or Kauai on your next Hawaiian getaway, then look no further for a list of top to-dos!
Kauai –The Garden Island
1. The epic Na Pali Coast is what Kauai is known for. The vistas are stunning but the hiking is treacherous. Solid footwear and a camera strap recommended!
2. Order a round of Green Flash cocktails at Red Salt Restaurant in Poipu. Stay at the hip Koa Kea Resort for easy bar access.
3. Go to the Hanapepe Night Market for the art. Stay for the live music and food vendors. The perfect evening includes a trip to Talk Story Bookstore.
4. The Fresh Shave – Refreshing and all natural shaved ice combos named after mustaches (The Handlebar and The Fu Manchu are faves.)
5. Don a headlamp and climb in your inner tube for a tour through the flumes and tunnels of Lihue’s nineteenth century sugar cane plantations.
7. For a meditative experience, visit Oahu’s hidden gem, Valley of the Temples Memorial Park.
8. Hang ten at the North Shore, or just look on as the pros catch the big waves!
9. Spend a moment of reflection for the men who lost their lives on the USS Arizona at the Pearl Harbor memorial.
10. There’s nothing quite like an aerial perspective. Blue Hawaiian Helicopters offers an unbeatable experience to see Hawaii from the sky.
11. What’s better than fresh caught sushi? Nothing. Hit up Miso Phat when the craving strikes.
12. Snorkeling at Honolua Bay – It’s off the beaten track but well worth the journey to get there!
13. Driving the Road to Hana is an all-day adventure, winding you through plush green landscapes, past gurgling waterfalls, pools, and more.
14. The best burger on the island can be found at Lahaina’s Cheese Burger in Paradise. Nothing beats rock ‘n’ roll, cocktails, and a juicy burger.
15. Bike down from Haleakala’s 10,000 foot crater at sunrise. Take in the breathtaking view and feed off the adrenaline rush.
16. Our first stop on the big island is always Kona Brew Co. We recommend the taster to maximize your liquid aloha intake!
18. If you’re in awe of majestic rays from above, just image what it’s like to swim beside them! For the most unforgettable Kona experience, book your Manta Ray Night Dive.
19. Big Island Brewhaus in Waimea has amazing tacos and a great beer selection to wash them down, including the Overboard IPA and the Coconut Crème Ale.
20. We hope you’re pacing yourself because there’s more drinks to be had at Lava Lava Beach Club. Go for Happy Hour and pupus!